On May 21, 2009, at 6:35 PM, Jones Beene wrote:

Then there is the gray area of fractions which are >1 but never integers. The fractional quantum Hall effect (FQHE) is a physical phenomenon in which charge is found which is not a complete integer of the elementary charge. Catch-22: it is often assumed by the Grand Poobahs of fizzix to be greater than one, and never less than one. Go figure.

You may be interested to know that an apparent fractional charge develops when charges interact at relativistic velocities. I investigated this concept in some depth in:

http://mtaonline.net/~hheffner/SR-CircleCoil.pdf

This change in apparent charge is due to the change in the apparent E field strength, depending on the angle of the observation, in the vicinity of a relativistically moving charge. This change in field strength (and thus apparent charge) is called field pancaking. The apparent charge can either increase or decrease, i.e. Q'/Q ratio can be above or below 1, depending on the angle of observation.

On p.492 of *The Electromagnetic Field*, Albert Shadowitz provides the equation for relativistic (Coulombic) field pancaking as:

E = Q/(4 Pi e0 r^2) (1 - (v^2/c^2))/(1 - (v^2/c^2) sin^2 theta)^ (3/2)

If we let b = v^2/c^2 then we can interpret apparent charge Q' to be:

   Q' = Q (1 - b)/(1 - b sin^2 theta)^(3/2)

which can be interpreted to mean apparent charge is reduced to observers in line with the charge velocity vector and increased as the viewing angle is increased. (This fractional charge concept was mine, not Shadowitz's.)

Note - it is not standard physics to interpret pancaking as a change in apparent charge (standard relativity assumes charge is invariant with velocity) but rather a change in observed field strength, but we should be able to interpret the pancaking equation for Q' either way.

My investigation of this had to do with force effects of a circular current when viewed from outside the circle. When applied to fractional orbit forces, the equations apply to force within the circle, which should still exhibit exactly the same effect. This means that as the orbit becomes smaller and velocity becomes relativistic, the nucleus-electron force should increase. Very small hydrinos should be smaller even than expected due to the increased force. The apparent charges of the nucleus and electrons, viewed in each other's reference frames, should increase due to relativistic effects.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/