its not just genetic inability to mate. its also social. For example,
bobcats will and still sometimes DO sucessfully mate with housecats
with non mule offspring. but they generally do not, from a social
standpoint. Darwins finches that speciated apart did so in large part
not because of genetics, but because as they found different niches to
feed in from teh changing bills, they simply were in different areas
of the islands.  Mud stabbing bug eaters just never associated with
wide billed nutcrackers.  doesn't meant that if you artifically
changed their environments they COULDN'T possibly end up mating, they
just don't.