On Mon, 25 May 2009, OrionWorks wrote:

> I would prefer to conduct my life on the initial premise of not judging
> people, or at least giving them the benefit of the doubt first before
> automatically condemning them to the trash heap. This has obviously
> not always worked out in my favor. Reagan said it best: "Trust, but
> verify."

I had a similar attitude, but over the years of encountering scammer after
scammer, I had to modify it to this:

   When it's a free-energy claim, then always assume it's a scam.   Then
   look for evidence that the person making the claim is honest.  Do it
   this way because scammers don't appear dishonest.   Instead, scammers
   commonly exhibit "missing honesty."

   When it's a free-energy claim, assume it's a scam, and then follow the
   money.   Most scams are profit-driven, though some seem created only
   to attract fame to a dishonest fool.

See my list of hints at http://amasci.com/freenrg/fnrg.html

> Obviously, practicing such personal philosophy runs the risk of
> opening myself up to charges of being gullible.

Nah, you just need a well-designed anti-scammer firewall in your head.

Just don't go overboard and fall for the Skeptic fallacy; the irrational
emotional response of hostile bigotry directed at certain taboo topics.

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  206-762-3818    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci