On the Cold Fusion Talk page I saw this weird message from Kirk Shanahan in a discussion of Duncan's visit to Energetic Technologies:

"Dardik et al, of Energetic Technologies have slides from ICCF12 and a paper from ICCF14 (2008) posted on Rothwell's web site. In both, they show an artist's drawing of their calorimeter, which contains the thermocouples, which are designated Tcell and Tjacket. The drawing and these designations are for what is known as isoperibolic calorimetry. In the text of the ICCF14 paper, the claim to be using a flow calorimeter, but what they show is NOT that. Isoperibolic calorimetry is what F&P originally did and were criticized about in the '89 DOE review. Storms has written several times that flow calorimetry is superior to isoperibolic . . ."

This refers to Fig. 1, p. 3 here:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/DardikIultrasonic.pdf

Does he seriously think the Energetics Technology wrote a whole papers saying it is flow calorimetry when in fact it is isoperibolic? And that Duncan and McKubre failed to notice what kind of calorimetry they use?!?

That's mind-boggling. The guy is losing it.

The drawing in question shows that they measures the electrolyte temperature and water temperature in the jacket. It does not show them measuring at the inlet and outlet temperature but I am sure they do. It is a shame it does not show the other pair of thermocouples to satisfy Shanahan's literal-minded approach. I suppose he thinks they use itty-bitty red alcohol thermometers since that is what the drawing shows.

More to the point, I have never seen a flow calorimeter in which they do not measure electrolyte and jacket temperature in addition to the flow Delta T. You might say that all flow calorimeter is also used as isoperibolic calorimeters, as a backup I suppose, and because why not -- you never know what the electrolyte temperature might reveal.

(I'll tell you what it will reveal: when the electrolyte gets hot, the reaction increases. You would not know that from flow calorimetry alone because the flow Delta T temperature does not tell you what the electrolyte temperature is. That's a complicated function of how thick and conductive the cell wall is, along with various other factors.)

I have to stop reading this crazy stuff.