>From Mark Iverson:

> FYI,
>
> The Crime of Reason and the Closing of the Scientific Mind
> Robert D. Laughlin, Reviewed by Edward Gerjuoy
> Basic Books, New York, 2008. $25.95 (186 pp.). ISBN 978-0-465-00507-9
>
> -Mark

--------------
Out at Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/Crime-Reason-Closing-Scientific-Mind/dp/0465005071/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244647291&sr=1-1

http://tinyurl.com/lfnjb9

Editorial Reviews

>From Publishers Weekly
The provocative premise of this short book is that even as we appear
to be awash in information, governments and industry are restricting
access to knowledge by broadening the concept of intellectual property
to include things as diverse as gene sequences and sales techniques .
According to Laughlin, the right to learn is now aggressively opposed
by intellectual property advocates, who want ideas elevated to the
status of land, cars, and other physical assets so the their
unauthorized acquisition can be prosecuted as theft. With examples
drawn from nuclear physics, biotechnology and patent law, Laughlin, a
Nobel laureate in physics, paints a troubling picture of a society in
which the only information that is truly valuable in dollars and cents
is controlled by a small number of individuals. But while Laughlin
poses urgent questions, he provides neither in-depth analysis nor
potential solutions. Many intriguing arguments—for example, that
electronic technologies such as the Internet, which inundate us with
useless information, are not instruments of knowledge dissemination at
all but agencies of knowledge destruction—are offered but none are
usefully explored. (Oct.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier
Inc. All rights reserved.

Review
Peter Thiel, President, Clarium Capital Management
"Nobel Laureate Robert Laughlin convincingly argues that we are on the
verge of a new dark age as scientific and technical knowledge become
the province of experts and the broader populace becomes more
ignorant. The Crime of Reason is an eloquent plea for our civilization
to keep its lights on."

Library Journal
"With humorous honesty (it can be fun to think apocalyptically from
time to time), Laughlin uncovers the barriers scientists, engineers,
and laypeople encounter when they try to learn how the world works by
standing on the shoulders of giants, the discoveries of others.. His
argument is profound and not easy to dismiss."

Booklist
"a deeply subtle account, full of insights not only into Ronald Reagan
but also William Buckley, his longtime friend, supporter, and
(occasional) critic."

The Tennessean
“In this jeremiad against the stifling constraints of commercialized
culture…Laughlin explains the problems well.”

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com
www.zazzle.com/orionworks