On Sat, 27 Jun 2009, John Berry wrote:

> >From the stationary view point a magnetic dipole would be created only if
> electron drift tended not to spiral.

Then a simple spiral-shaped coil would not produce a magnetic dipole.

Build the thing, see which parts of my explanation *must* be wrong.
That's my whole point.  "Let the experiment be made."  (It's what I'm
intending to do.)  All reasoning is useless if it directly conflicts with
a simple experiment.

> Ok, so it generates a magnetic field dipole and a force would be on the ball
> bearings but it would be equal and opposite at each end and so cancel.

If so, then self-acting Faraday motors wouldn't turn.

Some parts of my explanation aren't very open to argument, since Faraday
motors do work, and are somewhat understood.  What's open to argument is
whether experiment will support some parts of my explanation and disprove
others.

> I don't yet follow the retarding metal contact point idea so I can't
> comment.

The current through the ball bearings would normally be perfectly radial.
A retarded contact point will "bend" the radial currents slightly, so they
slightly rotate, behave slightly as a coil, and create a dipole field
oriented down the motor's spin-axis.   (If we add a magnet to produce such
a field, such a motor is well known to start spinning.)

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  206-762-3818    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci