On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 1:14 PM, William Beaty <bi...@eskimo.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Jun 2009, John Berry wrote:
>
> > >From the stationary view point a magnetic dipole would be created only
> if
> > electron drift tended not to spiral.
>
> Then a simple spiral-shaped coil would not produce a magnetic dipole.

No, you misunderstand what I was saying.
In a spiral shaped coil the protons aren't moving in a circle producing a
magnetic field, here they are, the opposite to that produced by the
electrons hence no field from the electrons to a stationary frame.

However IF due to the voltage gradient the electron drift takes a less
 rotational path than the protons then you will have more rotating protons
than electrons and hence you will have a magnetic field.

 Production of the dipole magnetic field seems likely just not quite the way
that seems most obvious.