Jones Beene wrote:

> It gives us that window of opportunity, one or two years, to provide
> the technical “miracle” breakthrough in alternative energy which is
> what we really need to maintain the way of life we treasure so much,
> and which has been threatened by this stupid dependence on foreign oil.

Well, the "way of life you treasure so much" is actually part of the
problem, not of the solution. Your way of life has been "threatened"
because it is unsustainable, and not only at the energy level, but also
at the ecological, and social, level. Your way of life is/was possible
only because
a) there were "new territory" (resources) to conquer. That is now
practically finished.
b) there is a vast and growing number of people living in almost
complete poverty.

Now, in front of the crisis,  and instead of acknowledge this, you
pretend to find some miracle energy source to merely postpone the day of
reckoning. That's not a very wise course of action in the medium/long term.

Your way of life is also undesirable at the aesthetic and ethical
levels. I for one don't want to live my life as a self-indulgent
gluttonous person, ignorant and disengaged of the misery of my (closer
and closer) surroundings.