Jones Beene wrote:

> *From:* Mauro
>

> At first I thought "Strange they didn't mention the fourth dimension".
> But Fournier is the "man of the furnace", and "furnus" (oven) is the
> french origin for "four".
> http://genealogy.about.com/library/surnames/f/bl_name-FOURNIER.htm
>

> This I did not know … (that “four” comes from “fournier”) … and the
> connection of the two is not clear.

Hi Jones,
You're right, the connection is unclear. Here's what I think, although
scholars will probably disagree:

"four" and "fournier" both share the same root. In the case of
"fournier", this is clear and well documented(Oxford latin dictionary,
plus other  sources). "Fournier" comes from "fire", after passing
through "furnus" (which means oven). Incidentally, "fire" comes from the
Latin "focus", which is interesting in itself.
Now, according to the sources, "four" seems to come as a series of
deformations of the latin "quatter", first in proto indo european
"qwetwor", later in proto germanic "petwor", and old english "feower"
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=four
This seems unlikely, due to the great phonetic distance between the two.
There are many contrasts to be made, also.

My take is that "four" comes also from (or is related to) "fire", with
the following relation: "fire" being the "fourth" of the classical
elements. This is not easy to swallow, but it doesn't sound impossible
to me that in anglo-saxon and germanic Europe the influence of greek and
latin thinking had shaped the phonetic form of the words "fourth" and
"four", in their relation with the "fourth element".
This is debatable, of course, because "four" being such a common word,
its origin can be very ancient. Nevertheless, the origin of notion of
the classical elements is very ancient too, and the relative similarity
of the word for "fire" in many languages seem to support this notion.

> It is curious that even some word-derivation experts do not appreciate
> that the name “California” is derived from the lime kilns used by the
> early Spaniards to build adobe buildings.

Thanks for that. The derivation sounds clear and evident to my spanish ears.

> By the way, I have made greats advances in my conceptions regarding
> heretofore called "quantum flux", but I don't want to talk about it
> until having a more precise and complete theory.
>

> Well – we look “Forward” (as in Robert F) to seeing that. Fran Roarty
> more than anyone.

I'll try to publish an initial version during the weekend.

Best regards,
Mauro