At 04:14 PM 9/8/2009, Jed Rothwell wrote:
Alexander Hollins wrote:

well,,,, just remove the infrared filter from any webcam, and its an ir camera. quick and easy. what kind of definition are you looking for?

Honestly, I do not know.

I knew this, it's why I wrote what I wrote.... I'm assuming that the cameras in these nifty little microscopes are similar, and that they will image what we need; but I do recognize these as assumptions.

This is *brainstorming*. Bad idea, in brainstorming, to immediately shoot down every idea with what's wrong with it.

If this method works, fine -- problem solved. I will grant there are times when relatively simple, cheap instruments suffice even in a professional lab. For example, ordinary handheld voltage meters are fine.

Yup. And you can get even cheaper than that, if you want a bunch of voltage measurements and you are going to make a few hundred of these kits or a few thousand.

I was just using this to illustrate some larger points about the limitations and inherent problems in low-budget experiments with "kludged" equipment.

I'm an engineer, Jed. We kludge stuff to get it to work, then we design what is to be manufactured from that.

Generally speaking, it is more trouble than it is worth. I have no experience with IR cameras but I have more experience than I wish with other cold fusion related equipment such as: used equipment especially coolers, cheap pumps, and low tech rotary flowmeters.

Which is why I'm thinking of avoiding serious calorimetry. If we make cells, someone could put them in a calorimeter, and maybe a calorimetric option could exist, but I see calorimetry as *hard*. Primitive calorimetry, maybe, one could, with some temperature sensors -- cheap -- and with some calibration with known power dissipation at various levels, come up with some reasonable estimate of power, but, as you well know, there are lots of complications.

You don't want to deal with that stuff if you can afford something better. Used equipment or obsolete equipment is Trouble. An expensive flowmeter has no moving parts. It adds a pulse of heat to the flowing water, which it detects downstream. It is a high tech black box; the kind of instrument you just gotta believe is working, but it is far less trouble, believe me. Actually, you don't just gotta believe. You test it with low tech measures: you take the return hose out of the cooler, click a stopwatch and let it flow into a graduated cylinder for a given duration. That gives a pretty good answer which you check against the precision flowmeter.

Storms and McKubre dispense with flowmeters altogether, using weight scales and a siphon in an automated procedure similar to what I just described. Anyone who has dealt with flowmeters will be inclined to dispense with them by tossing them in front of an oncoming steam roller.

I thought that was how we test them.

What I'd prefer you to do, Jed, if you do want to help (do you?) is start to think of what *can* be done, not what can't. There may be a dozen things we can do, and a million we can't. Easy to think of what won't possibly work, but is there anything you can think of that would be affordable and of any interest?

You've already suggested Arata-type cells. Arata's "calorimetry" is about our speed, perhaps. Nevertheless, if we had some idea of what power dissipation it takes to keep one of his cells at four degrees C. above ambient, wouldn't that be useful? I don't know whether his demonstration is brilliant or simply a subtle form of delayed deuteride formation, because the calibration is completely missing.

How would kids run an Arata cell? Well, I imagine a small cell, it's filled at the factory with deuterium, in a calorimeter, and the same kind of data Arata shows is recorded, pressure and temperature. Possibly weight of the cell, very accurate, before being filled, when evacuated, and when "full" of gas. The cell (and the filling data) are couriered to the buyer, who monitors temperature. How long does it last? For steady generation of heat, resistor calibration for a well-designed cell should be pretty good at determining power, and since there aren't a pile of other distractions, at estimating total energy production.

What if the filling is slow, so that temperature never rises to a high level, and a CR-39 chip has been dropped in the cell? Will it show anything when the cell is opened later? Indeed, would there be any damage to the CR-39? No electrolyte, only a bit of hydrate formation heat, which could be kept low.