I should add that the etchant is toxic, like the electrolyte. You don't want unsupervised kids working with it.

For that matter, I have doubts about the wisdom of letting certain 70-year-old electrochemists work with this stuff. Mizuno & I watched Ohmori work with boiling electrolyte in a nonchalant manner, and listened to Fisher's lecture, and I am not sure they should allowed to do these things unsupervised. As Mizuno said -- while edging his way out of the room -- "this experiment scares the hell out of me." That's coming from a guy who almost cut his carotid artery in an explosion, and who has been working with a 1-cm thick stainless steel pressurized cell for years, at pressures and temperature experts told him is "close to performance limits." In other words, it might blow your head off.

McKubre said that Fleischmann is famous for designing elaborate, large experimental apparatus which were not well grounded and tend to shock people and burn up. When he first visited, there were grad students in the hall shooting arrows at a target as part of an experiment. Safety last.