They say it's "lithium ion ferrous phosphate" in this Fortune article
reproduced on their site:

http://www.byd.com/buzz/media-reproduced/warren-buffett-takes-charge/

BYD LiPO4 batteries equip OLPC (one laptop per child) laptops, see:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Laptop_Batteries#BYD_LiFePO4

so they must be reasonably inexpensive. I was surprised to see on that
page that they work on a wider temperature range than NiMH!

Michel