Captain Crunch, and then there were tone voice whistlers, and blue, black
and red boxes....

-----Original Message-----
From: Jed Rothwell [mailto:jedrothw...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:58 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com; vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Need to reach Jeff Kooistra

Terry Blanton wrote:

>Did you know that you can still pulse dial with the hookswitch?  You
>have to be consistent and fast but it can be done.  Easier than Morse code.

Ha! A repeated hook switch flash, as they call it in the phone biz. I
didn't know you could pull that off.

It reminds me of the early days of DTMF when people -- including some
now high and mighty industry leaders -- were involved in ripping off
the phone company with tone generators. Some guy was reportedly able
to do this with a plastic whistle from a package of Captain Crunch
cereal, circa 1972.

In the same YouTube selection as the AT&T video, there is a cute
silent movie video from the 1920s explaining how to use dial
telephones. One of the things it points out is that with a number
such as 3-4142 (where 3 was the office code) you do not have to dial
the hyphen, and in fact there is no way to do it. That confused
people then, and it confuses us now with computer entry screens for
credit cards and the like.

There is also a stop action movie showing a dial telephone being
assembled from hundreds of parts by an animated character. Great stuff!