At 10:28 AM 10/29/2009, Horace Heffner wrote:
I am not going to provide legal advice other than to say you need
professional legal advice.

I need professional advice about dozens of things, and I'm not going to get it.... I've done business and other stuff for forty years and so far, I've actually used professional advice for a handful of necessities. Adopting two children, for example. Massachusetts requires you have an attorney to transfer real estate, so it's been done in that, numerous times.

As to isotopes, the product involved is a commercial one, available off the shelf, I believe, at local hardware stores. I'll check out shipping requirements before selling them, I'm sure, but I'm not about to hire an attorney to do that for me. If it's too much of a problem, I won't sell them!

  There are both federal, state, and local
laws and regulations with regards to sale, transport, disposal and
specific use or planned use by isotope kind and quantity.  Licenses,
or license addenda, can (and are, depending on location and
conditions) be required for individuals, companies, laboratories,
individual rooms in laboratories, and specific planned experiment
type including specifics regarding each type of isotope used or
planned to be used.  Requirements change. It is important to keep up
with them. That is why professional advice is needed.

If I have or should have reason to believe that there is a regulation I must follow, I'll investigate and follow it. I would assume that when one buys a smoke detector, if there are any special requirements fo transport or disposal, those would be provided with the unit. Seems to me I may have seen such. (Do not dispose of this smoke detector with household refuse, but call the State Environmental Protection Agency so they can come with their Hazmat suits, spending thousands of dollars of state money so you can get rid of a $5.95 smoke detector. Do not under any circumstances eat the Am-241 source included in this detector, and do not feed it to your children or pets. If the case should suffer damage, call your attorney immediately for advice on how to avoid prompt incarceration, we cannot be responsible for the overreaction of the state police or national guard. Right.)

As Bob Dylan wrote, if you ain't got nothin, you got nothin to lose. On the other hand, if the bucks start pouring in the door, hey, an attorney should get some. How likely is that? I can see the headlines:

Cold Fusion Fad Hits High Schools, Physicists Hysterical

Sales of LDA Cold Fusion Kits Skyrockets after American Physical Society Issues Press Release: It's Impossible!

Should I get a bigger mailbox?