Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

As Bob Dylan wrote, if you ain't got nothin, you got nothin
to lose.  On the other hand, if the bucks start pouring
in the door, hey, an attorney should get some. How likely
is that? I can see the headlines:

Cold Fusion Fad Hits High Schools, Physicists Hysterical

Sales of LDA Cold Fusion Kits Skyrockets after American
Physical Society Issues Press Release: It's Impossible!

Jed wrote:

That's funny, but this is no laughing matter. There has
been and continues to be serious, prolonged opposition to
cold fusion. Many powerful people such as Robert Park have
gone to great lengths to prevent research.

They have done unethical things such as destroying people's
reputations in the mass media, and firing scientists who
published positive results or tried to organize or attend
conferences. They have destroyed people's lives, happiness
and marriages. I advise you not to play games with such
people. Do nothing that will give them the opportunity to
get you in trouble ...

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

Consider me, Jed, a lab assistant for a kind of community
consciousness that will be voiced through all the people
who comment, experts and others. But I'm also independent,
I'm charged with making my own decisions according to the
best judgment I can muster. It's my money I'm spending at
this point, though I've been offered some kind of donation
or loan, I'll see what comes in the mail!

Jed wrote:

Amateur experiments have caused more harm than good,
except for the ones conducted by high school kids at
Portland State University ...

I sympathize with the lawmakers trying to legislate away
all of life's risks. But I think their goal is unattainable
in their methods may actually increase risk. As I noted
here previously, I have encountered 12-year-old children
who have never used a kitchen knife to cut a watermelon
because their parents and society are so protective. This
does not make them safer in the long run.

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

Yeah, I knew a little girl who was drastically
overprotected by her father, and the mother, who had done
a much better job with her earlier children, was afraid
to confront him. The result? Very, very protected, ran
away from home at 15, got involved with drug addicts,
lived very dangerously for a few years ...

-------------

This was Morris County, New Jersey.  And
http://radlab.nl/radsafe/archives/0002/msg00768.html
contains a description of ... as a teenager, except I
never did anything with radioactive materials, just some
oxidizers and stuff, and when there was an hysterical
report in a local newspaper recently about some kid having
some thermite, I was able, from experience, to write a
calming report.

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

I'm in so much trouble already, what are they going to
do? Put me out of my misery? ...

------------

Hi Abd,      10-30-09

I suggest that you do not sell kits to anyone under the age
of 21.  If anything can go wrong in high school science,
sooner or later it will.

One day, in the middle of a lab, a girl started screaming
that her eyes were burning, although she had on eye
protection.  I grabbed her by the hair, dragged her to
the eyewash, and washed out her eyes.

Here's what happened:  The students, as part of a
titration experiment, were supposed to prepare standard
HCl solutions.  A beaker of concentrated HCl was in the
hood along with a graduated cylinder.  The students were
supposed to pour a small amount (as per a calculation)
of the concentrated HCl into the graduate and then pour
the HCl into a beaker of water.  No concentrated HCl was
supposed to leave the hood.

A student. stationed next to the victim, took the beaker
of concentrated acid from the hood to her work area and
set it on the lab bench, despite emphatic written and
verbal instructions not to take it out of the hood.
Fumes from the beaker drifted into the victim's eyes
despite her goggles.

Jack Smith