Robin van Spaandonk wrote:

The simplest calculation yields 4.5 days, but that's a straight line through the Sun (the longest time is when Mars and Earth are on opposites sides of the Sun I
presume). Since going through the Sun could be a bit problematic, my guess is
that a somewhat more circuitous route would take a bit longer.

Ah. Maybe 2 or 3 weeks in that case.

That would reduce the solar system to roughly the same dimensions as the earth circa 1880, when passenger steamships replaced sailing ships. I mean there was a world-wide, integrated society and economy based on travel times of about 3 weeks. I believe voyages from China to the California took roughly three weeks. Circa 1883, it took 25 days to go from New York to San Francisco by steamship, including one day crossing the Isthmus of Panama. See "A Chronological History of the Origin and Development of Steam Navigation" (Google books -- gotta love 'em!).

Arthur Clarke wrote that the solar system may eventually be reduced to roughly these (psychic) dimensions. It would also have a 19th century feel to it because real-time telephone conversations will never be possible but of course e-mail is similar to telegraphs (cables). He felt that deep person-to-person understanding & friendship requires at least conversation by telephone:

"At the worst, [the speed of light communications delay] will amount to eleven hours -- the time it takes a radio signal to span the orbit of Pluto, the outermost planet. Between the three inner worlds Earth, Mars, and Venus, it will never be more than twenty minutes -- not enough to interfere seriously with commerce or administration, but more than sufficient to shatter those personal links of sound or vision that can give us a sense of direct contact with friends on Earth, wherever they may be."

Frankly, I disagree. He wrote that back in the 1960s. In the Internet Era, text has once more became the principal means of communication between educated adults, as it was back in 1880. I do not think that friendship among widely separated intellectuals and scientists in the 18th and 19th century was shallow because it depended mainly on text.

Assuming SR holds, there will never be anything like a 19th century scale world-wide society spanning interstellar distances. I have no doubt that if people survive without exterminating ourselves we will eventually reach other stars, but the only thing we will exchange between stars will be ideas and history:

"Space can be mapped and crossed and occupied without definable limit; but it can never be conquered. When our race has reached its ultimate achievements, and the stars themselves are scattered no more widely than the seed of Adam, even then we shall still be like ants crawling on the face of the Earth. The ants have covered the world, but have they conquered it -- for what do their countless colonies know of it, or of each other?

So it will be with us as we spread outward from Mother Earth, loosening the bonds of kinship and understanding, hearing faint and belated rumors at second -- or third -- or thousandth-hand of an ever-dwindling fraction of the entire human race. Though Earth will try to keep in touch with her children, in the end all the efforts of her archivists and historians will be defeated by time and distance, and the sheer bulk of material. For the number of distinct societies or nations, when our race is twice its present age, may be far greater than the total number of all the men who have ever lived up to the present time."

- Profiles of the Future, chapter 10

My, didn't that man have a way with words!