At 06:24 PM 12/25/2009, Steven Krivit wrote:
Fleischmann, M., et al., " Electrochemically Induced Nuclear Fusion of Deuterium," Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, Vol. 261, Issue 2, Part 1, p. 301-308 (April 10, 1989) and errata in Vol. 263, p. 187-188, (1989)

"In view of the very high compression and mobility of the dissolved species there must therefore be a significant number of close collisions and one can pose the question: would nuclear fusion of D+ such as
2D + 2D > 3T(1.01 MeV) + 1H(3.02 MeV) (v)
or
2D + 2D > 3He(0.82 MeV) + n(2.45 MeV) (vi)
be feasible under these conditions?"

Yeah. "Very high compression and mobility" is somewhat of a proxy for "very high temperature." But not exactly. Thermonuclear fusion would refer to fusion taking place because of the high energy of the nuclei, allowing them to overcome the Coulomb barrier by sheer momentum. High compression and mobility, absent the high nuclear velocities, would increase the number of potential collisions and possibly reveal some tunneling or shielding effect. No idea was expressed, in the news conference or this article, that high temperature was the cause of the apparent nuclear reaction. And that is what "thermonuclear" means.

Webster's on-line dictionary defines "thermonuclear" as:

of, relating to, or employing transformations in the nuclei of atoms of low atomic weight (as hydrogen) that require a very high temperature for their inception

You wrote, if I'm correct, in the encyclopedia article:

Their hypothesis that a novel form of thermonuclear fusion was responsible for their experimental results is still unproved.

As the introduction to the article, the text quoted above from them explains the question that they were researching. They were looking for evidence of those reactions. Now, oddly, they didn't find that evidence. They found something else, heat without the levels of tritium and neutron radiation which those reactions are known to produce. The conditions were not "thermonuclear."

After they have presented their experimental results, they state:

We realise that the results reported here raise more questions than they provide answers, and that much further work is required on this topic. The observation of the generation of neutrons and of tritium from electrochemically compressed D+ in a Pd cathode is in itself a very surprising result and, evidently, it is necessary to reconsider the quantum mechanics of electrons and deuterons in such host lattices. In particular we must ask: is it possible to achieve a fusion rate of 10-19 s-l for reactions (v) and (vi) for clusters of deuterons (presumably located in the
octahedral lattice positions) at typical energies of 1 eV?

"at typical energies of 1 eV" That means *not* thermonuclear. It means at low temperatures. High density, low temperatures.

This article does not support the text that claims that "their hypothesis" was "a novel form of thermonuclear fusion."

We must say that they were claiming fusion, yes, that was laced through what they wrote, though they were aware that too little was known to really come up with something solid. I don't see that they proposed a mechanism, and a thermonuclear reaction would be very unlikely (from, perhaps, fractofusion?), wouldn't explain the experimental results, and the question they were asking was what could happen at low energies (temperatures), not high.