At 08:24 PM 12/25/2009, you wrote:
I do not want to make too big a deal about this, by the way. I think "thermonuclear" is technically inaccurate in this context but broadly speaking, taken to mean "conventional, known, plasma fusion reactions" then Steve is right. This hypothesis has dogged the field. I do not think Fleischmann and Pons proposed that hypothesis but someone reading their first paper might have gotten that impression.

I agree with this. That 1989 paper did not actually propose those reactions as a hypothesis, but the writing was obscure and it could certainly look like that.

As I said, I wish they had inserted the caveat Pons introduced a few months later, in his testimony. They had been thinking about this subject for a long time and they are not fools, so I am sure they knew long before they published that this cannot be a normal fusion reaction.

Charles Beaudette told me that the paper was written in haste. Perhaps it was the best they could do in a short time. There were a number of sloppy errors corrected in the next issue of the journal so evidently it was written in a hurry. I do not recall why. Perhaps to ensure priority because of the showdown with Steve Jones.

Yeah, seems possible. We have a technical term for situations like this. "Mess."

Regarding the hypothesis that extreme pressure causes the reaction, that is discussed in the Congressional testimony referenced above, and in Mizuno's book. I think people still take that hypothesis seriously. It is difficult to discuss this or any other scientific subject in a congressional hearing because you have to be 100% honest and not condescending, but at the same time you cannot use the kind of detailed technical language Mizuno uses in his book, and you have to say everything in a few minutes. Pons did his best, saying:

"On the next slide, we point out that if, indeed, you would try to -- if you were to try to obtain that same voltage by the compression of hydrogen gas to get that same chemical potential of .8 volts, you would have to exert a hydrostatic pressure of a billion, billion, billion atmospheres, tremendously high pressure."

That's an interesting statement, since Fleischmann mentioned, in the press conference, 10^27 atmospheres as the equivalent pressure to the conditions attained in the lattice. A billion, billion, billion.

"And, further, we see -- or the point here is that also these pressures -- or certainly these pressures, absolute hydrostatic pressures, are not attained inside the metal lattice. The dissolution of this material, these atoms going to these ions inside the lattice, represents a very high energy process, and it is not very well understood. . . ."

Taubes claims that Fleischmann had made a calculation error with the 10^27 figure. Has Fleischmann written about this, later? Fleischmann was really writing about compression, i.e., resulting density, not pressure, per se. But 10^27 is still vastly too high. What did he have in mind?