I'm correcting this comment as to the Violante data using more accurate numbers as provided by Violante and inferred from that. The substance of this remains the same.

http://newenergytimes.com/v2/news/2010/34/345revisions.shtml

We have learned, through a better understanding of their paper, that the authors did not perform calorimetry. Rather, they used the helium measurements to back-calculate the excess heat they would have expected from the amount of helium they measured, assuming the hypothesis of a D+D ­> 4He + 23.8 MeV (heat) reaction.

That statement appears to be radically incorrect. If it were true, the green dots would be right on the helium actually measured! You have misunderstood the chart, and you are directly contradicting the article. The chart plots, for three experiments, the numbers of helium atoms found, with error bars. This is total helium, and it appears that background helium is included.

There are, however, some problems with the presentation. On the one hand, the experiment that shows a green dot "on the money," is the noisiest point, it's actually a low excess helium measurement, obscured by plotting total helium including background. I doubt that the intention was obfuscation, though, rather it seems a bit sloppy to me. But it was only a conference paper!

You state that they did not perform calorimetry. On the contrary, they describe their calorimetry in the paper, http://newenergytimes.com/v2/library/2005/2005Apicella-SomeResultsAtENEA.pdf, in detail, and they give the data in the text, and I have converted to MeV using the NASA energy calculator at http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/Tools/energyconv/energyConv.pl

Laser 2: 23.5 kJ, 1.47 x 10^17 MeV
Laser 3: 3.4 kJ,  2.12 x 10^16 MeV
Laser 4: 30.3 kJ, 1.89 x 10^17 MeV

If we expect 24 MeV/He-4, these figures would translate to

Laser 2: 0.612 x 10^16 atoms
Laser 3: 0.088 x 10^16 atoms
Laser 4: 0.787 x 10^16 atoms

If background is to be added, 0.55 x 10^16 per the chart (and from Violante direct data), this becomes expected measurement:

Laser 2: 1.162 x 10^16 atoms
Laser 3: 0.638 x 10^16 atoms
Laser 4: 1.337 x 10^16 atoms

And these are the green dot positions (read from the chart):

Laser 2: 1.20 x 10^16 atoms
Laser 3: 0.72 x 10^16 atoms
Laser 4: 1.27 x 10^16 atoms

It appears that they took the energy, divided it by 24 MeV/He4, and plotted that as the green dots for reference. However, the positions aren't exact, so they have made some approximation or there is some other factor they have not disclosed. Nevertheless, the green dots are *approximately* what they say they are: measured energy converted to expected helium at 24 MeV.

(Note that Violante does acknowledge some sloppiness in the plots, but this does not greatly affect the presentation.)

For reference, here is the helium data taken from the chart:

Laser 2: 0.80 x 10^16 to 0.97 x 10^16 atoms, increase over background: 0.245 - 0.415 x 10^16, midpoint 0.330 Laser 3: 0.68 x 10^16 to 0.79 x 10^16 atoms, increase over background: 0.125 - 0.235 x 10^16, midpoint 0.180 Laser 4: 0.94 x 10^16 to 1.18 x 10^16 atoms, increase over background: 0.385 - 0.625 x 10^16, midpoint 0.505

Numbers reported by Violante in correspondence with Krivit, helium atoms, increase over background:

Laser 2: 0.35 x 10^16
Laser 3: 0.10 x 10^16
Laser 4: 0.50 x 10^16

Calculated Q factors from the energy/helium (from my reading of the chart):

Laser 2: 35 - 60 MeV, midpoint 45 MeV
Laser 3: 9 - 17 MeV, midpoint 12 MeV
Laser 4: 30 - 49 MeV, midpoint 37 MeV

Laser 3 certainly looks like an outlier.

From the better data provided by Violante:

Laser 2: 42 MeV
Laser 3: 21 MeV
Laser 4: 38 MeV

I'd have been much happier with statements of the actual measured values, or series of values, but this kind of specific and detailed data is often omitted. The round numbers are very clearly claimed.

Then there are the green dots. These are not presentations of raw data, but of the raw energy data (stated explicitly as numbers) interpreted as helium on the hypothesis of 24 MeV/He-4. But there is an unfortunate problem. They do not state how they correlate measured helium with total helium, and they are not clear on whether or not the data in the chart is measured helium including background, the caption implies that it is the increase, but the caption could be interpreted merely to indicate that an increase over background is shown, and, from the calculations above, the figures are for total helium, i.e., background plus increase. However, the variation in the background is not stated. Do the error bars include that? It is quite unfortunate that they did not present the data clearly!

They did do calorimetry, they are explicit about that. Those are the measured energy figures given, and those figures were not simply extrapolated from helium measured as you claimed: were it so, the green dots would be meaningless, but they also would be consistent, i.e., all three experiments would show green dots right on the money. The only experiment that shows that ratio, roughly, is the one with the lowest energy production, and the error bars in the helium measurement would make this not as important as it might seem. In any case, nobody with any sense would look at the series of three experiments and think that it was some kind of definitive confirmation of 24 MeV/He-4. It's one data point that looks like that, that's all, and two data points, less down in the noise, that look like there is "missing helium," the same as with about everyone else.

Definitely, I'm troubled by the presentation of data from these experiments, but I do recall that this is a conference paper and wasn't subjected to the rigorous review that would likely accompany journal publication.

As to the importance of this confirmation, it's small. It's only three experiments, with one appearing to be an outlier. The two that are roughly consistent with each other are in the same ball park as other results. If we assume 24 MeV, we are looking at, for the midpoints, a helium retention factor of 47% and 35% for the two experiments. But the data isn't very solid, this is a *rough* confirmation.