On Feb 7, 2010, at 4:42 AM, Michel Jullian wrote:

2010/2/7 Horace Heffner <hheff...@mtaonline.net>:
Two things to consider: (1) reversing the current *does* "dissolve" the Pd
surface,

True, but extremely slowly I believe. A Pd anode is known to dissolve
relatively fast in acidic electrolytes such as D2SO4, but I don't
think that's what they used. It is doubtful whether they reverted the
current long enough to dissolve more than a few atomic layers.

I think the experimenters were competent. They knew what they were doing.

Using a Faraday constant of 96,485 C/mol, and (conservatively) a valence of 4, n for moles produced, I for current = .2 A, t for time = 1 s, we get:

   n = I * t / (96,485 C/mol * 4)

   n = (0.2 A)*(1 sec) / (385940 C/mol) = 5.182x10^-7 mol

This means that at 200 mA/cm^2, 5.182x10^-7 mol/s is removed, or 3.12x10^17 atoms per second.

We also have for Pd: (12.38 g/cm^3)/(106.42 g/mol) = 0.1163 mol/cm^3 = 7.006x10^22 atoms/cm^3. The atomic volume is 1.427x10^-23 cm^3, and the atomic dimension is 2.426x10^-8 cm. The amount of Pd removed per second is (3.12x10^17 atoms per second) * (1.427x10^-23 cm^3 per atom) = 4.45x10^-6 cm/s, or 445 angstroms per second. The number of layers of atoms removed is (4.45x10^-6 cm/s)/(2.426x10^-8 cm) = 183/s.

If this is correct (highly suspect! 8^), then at a current density of 200 mA/cm^2 we have a thickness of 183 atoms removed per second, or 445 angstroms per second.

and (2) previous work has shown that helium production takes place
near but below the surface (order of microns),
while tritium production
tends to take place on or very close to the surface (within a few atomic
widths).

I guess you mean they are *found* there, couldn't they be both
produced on the surface, only with more kinetic energy in the helium
nuclei (alphas) than in the tritium nuclei for some reason, so that
the helium is implanted more deeply? I find the idea of two different
nuclear reaction sites producing different products a bit unlikely.

No, most of the 4He reactions occur sub-surface. What do you think produces a "volcano"? A surface reaction? The typical 4He produced by CF does not have MeV kinetic energy, and is not surface produced. If it were there would be massive alpha counts. There is not sufficient kinetic energy to push alphas that deep into the Pd.

This has been a classic problem with CF, converting the process
into a bulk effect instead of a surface effect for all practical purposes.

Maybe it's just not possible, because you can't make large D fluxes
collide head-on

Head on collisions, i.e. kinetics, can not possibly account for cold fusion.

in the bulk, this can only happen at a significant
scale on the surface (desorbing vs incident fluxes). In the bulk, it
seems to me the deuterons just push and follow each other down the
lattice's concentration gradients, and never really collide hard.

Also, if Bose Einstein Condensates are involved, they requires cold
bosons for their formation. Head-on collisions may be a plausible
mechanism for deuteron kinetic energy removal.

This would only be the case if the collisions were almost all totally inelastic. The only way that can happen is if they are fusions.

Michel