-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen A. Lawrence

Jones Beene wrote:

> I have lost the citation from a few weeks ago that claimed that below a
> threshold of about 10 nm, the expected blackbody frequency is upshifted
for
> nanostructures, in general.

> SAL: If I understand you, and if this is true, then it's a violation of
the
second law of thermodynamics.

No, not if other parts of the structure compensate, so that the net energy
is unchanged.

IOW sub-radiance compensates for super-radiance so that net energy is
conserved. This what Brian Ahern calls energy "localization". It is usually
a surface effect, and that is due to nanostructure.

This all goes back to simulations done by Fermi, Pasta and Ulam on one of
the first supercomputers at LANL. According to Brian, they simulated a
one-dimensional array of masses connected by ideal springs obeying Hooke's
Law. They gave the system x-amount of vibrational energy and then followed
oscillators over time. The simulation showed that all of the masses got the
same amount of vibrational energy. This was important as it verified one of
the most basic tenets of statistical Thermodynamics. However, this is NOT
the end of story, and they quickly found exceptions to the rule.

Ulam changed the equation from F = -k1X  to F = -k1x + k2X*2.  He kept the
constant k2 small so that he was adding only a small nonlinear component.
Surprisingly, even a small amount of nonlinearity caused the energy to
become highly localized. A small number of the masses went into permanent
large amplitude oscillations and the remaining masses became 'vibrationally
cold'. Note: there is no violation of CoE - at least not until abnormally
large vibrations are able to cause another reaction - such as LENR
(possibly).

Later all of this was picked up in the context of LENR by Preperata and has
been called DPSR = Dicke-Preparata Super-radiance. Robert Dicke is the
original genius behind it all, prior to LENR. Here is an earlier posting on
vortex (which you commented on, so don't say you never heard of it :)

http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l@eskimo.com/msg22621.html

There's another argument (from Brian): When two objects with different
surface characteristics are placed next to each other in a uniformly hot
oven and a dichroic filter is placed between them, if one radiates more
strongly at the filter's peak reflection frequency than the other, their
relative temperatures will change.  (The one which radiates more strongly at
the mirror's reflection frequency will "see" more radiation coming in than
the other object, and so will get warmer.) You can analogize that to a
single layered material with a surface that has greater vibrational
mobility.

But alas, I still have not found the paper in question, but am still
looking. Here is one that is close:

http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/0953-8984/15/7/308

Jones