On Feb 8, 2010, at 11:38 AM, Jones Beene wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen A. Lawrence

I'm not going to pretend I can follow the reasoning here.  Sorry...

Well, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

If it helps to slake your thirst for nano-insight on this subject, here is the same story from a different slant - the breakdown of Planck's "law" at
the nanoscale:

http://www.physorg.com/news168101848.html
http://www.nanowerk.com/news/newsid=11917.php

"For the first time, however, MIT researchers have achieved this feat, and determined that the heat transfer can be 1,000 times greater than [Planck's]
law predicts."

This statement strikes me as rather nonsensical. Why would anyone expect near field effects, virtual photon exchange, to operate in the same manner as far field effects, photon exchange?

Note: no one suggests a violation of CoE, and therefore greater emission on the nano-structured surface (superradiance) will be compensated elsewhere.

That can't be too difficult to grasp, once you get past the false belief that Planck's "law" is really a Law, instead of a general observation that
proved correct within the limitations of its relevant time frame.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/