A question for the Vort Collective:

Does the use of the term "Fusion" HAVE to imply there must exist a
mechanism or process that directly overcomes the Coulomb barrier - by
brute force?

Could "fusion" also be used to explain a mechanism or process, a
process that is not yet understood and as such is still being debated,
processes that seem to ignore and/or completely side-step the dreaded
Coulomb Barrier issue?

I could be wrong on this point (and please correct me if I am) but
I've gotten the impression that many if not most scientists believe
"fusion" MUST involve a mechanism that DIRECTLY overcomes the dreaded
Coulomb barrier. I'm under the impression that to come up with any
other explanation or theory that attempts to introduce a mechanism
that finesses its way around the dreaded CB would NOT be considered a
legitimate theory.

Just curious.

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson