At 03:10 PM 3/24/2010, Michel Jullian wrote:
Fits with your 159 IQ.

Someone else is paying attention, I like that.

159 is not well enough established to be a reliable figure, it's based on one test in high school. There are other signs, though, judge for yourself. Be careful. It is very, very difficult to judge. Consider the problem of designing a test for very high IQ, which that is. Who makes up the questions?

Back on topic, I understand why you are mad at Steve krivit for
pushing his POV that the heat/helium = 24 MeV/He is bogus, that's
because that correlation is what made you believe CF might well be
real. You don't want to doubt again.

The technical term for this argument is horseshit.

I'm very concerned about Steve because of the impact his "pushing his POV" is having on the politics, and because I have an instinctive reaction to horseshit presented to impeach the integrity of people, as Steve has repeatedly done.

I came to "believe" -- always a provisional term for me -- that CF is real because of heat/helium correlation, which isn't actually challenged by Steve. It just looks like he's challenging it, and that sloppiness is part of the problem. Take a look at what Steve thinks is the real correlation range, and you'll see it. He still claims that heat and helium are correlated.

The importance of this isn't dependent on the exact value, and I don't consider the exact value well-established. What I see from the scientists involved is mostly quite cautious -- and therefore accurate -- statements.

The heat/helium ratio found through experiment (10 groups is what was said at the press conference) is "consistent with" the value expected for deuterium fusion.

No matter what the mechanism is, whether it's little teeny hot fusion reactors, operated by super-intelligent bacteria (Vyosotski doesn't know the half of it!) who happen to find palladium really comfortable as a home, and with super shielding that they also fabricated to absorb, immediately, all the radiation (how about an ultradense form of palladium that they manage to push into place temporarily), that smash deuterium together (hot fusion), or it's neutron absorption, or it's cluster fusion (which some in the field now think the most likely explanation), possibly in Bose-Einstein Condensates, or something entirely different, the energy will be, except for what ends up with other products instead of helium, 24 MeV/He-4. The laws of thermodynamics require that.

If the value turns out to be 48 MeV instead of 24, I'm not offended at all. But I'll wonder what other products there are in sufficient quantities to explain that. In fact, if it's lower than 24, I'm not offended, it would simply indicate other reactions besides those which turn deuterium into helium are involved. There is no law that says every reaction in a CF cell must be one particular form. (And it's highly unlikely that there are *no* other reactions at all, but it's looking like they are relatively rare, by comparison.)

Heat/helium correlation, no heat, no helium, turns CF "failures" into control experiments, if helium is measured. If the correlation is strong, then common mechanism or common cause must be strongly inferred. So what would produce, together, heat and helium? If there was no helium there, but something that reasonably might be made into helium, what is likely to be going on?

If it's not fusion, you are faced with explaining something quite difficult to explain, why bad calorimetry and bad helium measurements, both of which are separately asserted, would come up correlated. If they are correlated, each one confirms the other, as long as no fraud is involved. Ordinary systemic error would not produce this. I can come up with some stretched explanations, but they don't, at all, match the experimental conditions.

Helium is a nuclear product, and to make helium as far as any known mechanism is concerned, takes fusion. Krivit is off on a toot about neutron absorption being "not fusion," which is a pure quibble, but his loud noises are being read as might be expected: he's casting all the research into doubt over a small detail, by comparison, the exact Q value.