On Mar 25, 2010, at 7:02 AM, Michel Jullian wrote:

I'll remind, just in case it isn't clear for everybody, that for every
two Ds which will have disappeared and every He which will have
appeared, 24 MeV of energy will have been released in any case,
_whatever the intermediary or concurrent reactions if any_.

The energy released by a nuclear reaction is path-independent and
depends only on the reactants and products, just like in a chemical
reaction.

Michel

There is a wealth of evidence that other reactions than D+D are taking place. Even if there were a perfect measurement of 4He product, and perfect measurement of enthalpy, energy/4He could not be expected to perfectly match 24 MeV because there are products other than 4He.

In addition, there is no indication that I have seen that reaction energy balances for heavy element LENR, either in terms of enthalpy or high energy signature particles. There appears to be an energy sink involved. Further, a preliminary energy sink appears to me to be necessary to enable the weak reactions which have been observed, as well as to account for the anomalous branching ratios of the D+D reaction. I think that sink can balance out, return energy, over the extended reaction time however.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/