At 07:47 PM 3/27/2010, Francis X Roarty wrote:
Abd,
I asked about the normal rate of neutron capture because I thought it might change with fractional hydrogen. Always the optimist I find myself looking for the mechanism by which it could work. I really feel we already have all the information we need to solve this mystery but no one wants to borrow parts from one another to solve it correctly.

Probably not change, if by "fractional hydrogen" you mean hydrogen with a Mills electron in a fractional state (1/N fraction of the mimimum Bohr orbit). Neutrons would be very little affected, if at all, by the electrons.

As to "information to solve the mystery," I think not. What we need is for theorists, using the various extant theories or new ones, to make predictions, and then see if subsequent experiment matches the predictions. Sure, it is quite possible that, among the various theories, there are elements that, put together, might explain the results, but no theory as far as I know is satisfactory to explain all of what we already know. Some are closer than others, and if we could narrow it down with partial predictive success, we might get closer. But I haven't seen publication of predictions, beyond the first successful one, Preparata's prediction of helium as the predominant ash of the heat-producing mechanism.

It appears that there is rivalry in the field, to some degree, instead of cooperation. That impedes progress. It may not be possible to fix this, because the potential rewards of being the first with the right theory or magic technique that could lead to practical power generation are so great. It could be that this would not be at all fair, because any discovery now in this field will build on the work of others.

I.e., the theoretician may come up with the magic key that explains everything. But to get there, very likely, the field was cleared by all the dead ends and "failures." It may sound silly, but we need to fund more failures, very specific failures, to clear the field. Along with some successes. In real science, no experiment is a failure. In engineering, failures are also important, but only a little, which is why engineering does better when there is a solid theoretical foundation, when new science does not have to be discovered.