--- On Wed, 5/19/10, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <a...@lomaxdesign.com> wrote:

> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMQEiRWoiJw
> >
> > Is it practical? No. Was it fun? Oh yes.
>
> Better page: http://www.sparkbangbuzz.com/flame-amp/flameamp.htm

I know Nyle's pages are better than mine, that's why I linked to him from my
own page. And he was the inspiration for what I did.

...I tried? It seemed interesting at the time, I guess.

> I'm sure some are. I made a crystal radio that was powered
> from loose RF floating around, I must have been about 12 or
> so. I was more interested in stuff that went bang. I don't
> recall how I happened upon a flash explosive that was
> aluminum powder, sulfur, and potassium permanganate as the
> oxidizer. Cool stuff.

Back home, when I was a kid, I was into model rockets. But it seemed boring
making something from a kit. So I set about making my own rockets and engines.

For fuel, I had a few different things. The most common was common sugar and
potassium nitrate, melted together in a 40/60 ratio, then cast into PVC pipe
lengths, which were then capped and provided with a nozzle cast from Durham's
water putty. A teenager at that time, I had this ragtag collection of assorted
hangers-on from, of all places, the local Baptist church. These guys, and
sometimes girls if we were lucky, would come over and help manufacture rocket
engines. We had this test stand, if you can justify calling it that, which was
a highly technological device consisting of a piece of 3" steel pipe set
vertically into concrete in the middle of the yard. We'd drop an engine in,
lit, and run for cover. Sometimes they worked. Sometimes..........

I guess one of the worst incidents was an experimental engine composed of
potassium nitrate, magnesium dust (!) and a binder of polyurethane. The geyser
of fire and oily, acrid smoke that issued from that test stand was ungodly. If
I remember right, it was me and Jerry who were there when it happened. When you
see fire flow like a liquid... time to make an exit, stage right.

> Anyway, I'm an American kid, still, I'm just older....

Ditto.

> Well, I can understand, but I don't really miss that.
> Heathkits were cheap, main point for me at the time, I built
> quite a few, but assembly costs are now so low that a
> Heathkit to do what I can easily buy fully assembled and
> tested, etc., would be much more expensive.

Yes, assembled is cheaper now. Sometimes, late at night, I wonder if that's
really better. Where's it made? In the USA? Or by someone slaving in a third
world nation, with no chance of anything better?

My dad told me stories of taking the tubes from his old TV down to the drug
store and testing them. He'd replace the bad one, and back to The Honeymooners
it was. Now, you just go to Wal Mart and buy a new TV. In some ways, this is
good... an electronics cannibal such as myself finds garbage day to be a great
boon to my assets of stuff. On the other hand, I think we're instilling a sense
of nonappreciation for what has been made. "Screw it, it's cheap, I don't care
if I break it, I'll buy another one."

Put another way, nothing is made with sockets any more. It's all hard-soldered.
There are no VCR repair shops any more. Nothing is repaired, just discarded and
replaced. What is the environmental impact of this?

> I'm selling the material, $27.80 per 9x12 cm. sheet. Be the
> first on your block....

Interesting stuff. If I had the money and time, I wouldn't mind doing a few CF
experiments here.

--Kyle