V,

With some spare time over the weekend, and little to do (a rarity), I decided
to make a crystal-less crystal radio. Inspired by Nyle Steiner's work (google
him, he is a god among amateur scientists), I conducted a couple hour's worth
of experimenting with using flames as a detection method for RF. No kidding, it
works!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMQEiRWoiJw

Is it practical? No. Was it fun? Oh yes.

Unanswered questions: why are American kids not doing this sort of thing? Why
are they relying on their iPhones to do everything? "There's an app for that...
guh..."

--Kyle, longing for the days of Heathkit and the OLD Radio Shack...