On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 16:01:42 +0100, you wrote:

>This must be a scam. As Jed said, at the point where the craft is going
>downwind at the speed of the wind, the relative wind across the propeller
>would be zero so it could not accelerate from this point on. If it did, the
>force from the prop would reverse anyway. Even more obviously, if it can
>accelerate from a position of zero relative wind then one could start it off
>in no wind conditions and it would accelerate - perpetual motion just isn't
>that easy!

---
I've attached a drawing which shows basically how Thin Air Design's
"Blackbird" vehicle works.

Note that with the wind pushing the cart and the pitch of the
propeller as shown, the wind would, intuitively, be forcing the
propeller to rotate counter-clockwise as viewed from the rear of the
cart.

However, such is not the case.

What's really happening is that the wind is pushing on the prop,
forcing the cart to move forward, and the torque generated by the
wheels is coupled to the prop in such a way as to cause the prop to
rotate clockwise when viewed from the rear.

This direction of rotation makes the prop a "pusher", and will
increase the apparent force of the wind.

As long as the wind is blowing from the rear, the cart will accelerate
until it reaches wind speed, when the wind speed will effectively be
zero.

However, because of the prop's action as a pusher, the cart will be
going a little faster than wind speed, at wind speed.  Then, as soon
as the prop feels the headwind it'll stop being a propeller and will
become a turbine, driving the wheels and accelerating into the
headwind until, eventually, everything settles out and the cart
reaches its speed limit.

---

---
JF