Here is a pretty good description of how it works:

<http://scienceblogs.com/goodmath/2008/12/the_real_bozo_attempts_to_aton.php>
Ron

--On Wednesday, September 22, 2010 1:12 PM -0400 Lawrence de Bivort <debiv...@evolutionaryservices.org> wrote:

Sailboats vary enormously in terms of their favored point of sailing.  I would
guess that most
sailboats do best with the wind on their beam (90 deg.)  My boat is best on
that point, and I can
also sail into the wind to about 28 degrees without pinching, which is
exceptionally.  Downwind
is slow for me, so I often tack downwind, keeping main and gennie filled.

I wonder what race committees will say when a sailor shows up with this rig.
Thinking of John's
explanation, though, I suppose it will not work as there won't be any torque
transmission from
the wheels to the prop.

Right, John?

Cheers,