Hi

No problem with hijacking. Your subjects are related and I read some of it
but I realize it is too much to read for me right now. Maybe your programs
can be adjusted with the force formula for spherical distributions.

Actually I just typed the ACSII version of the integral into Wolfram Alpha,
a fantastic web resource, and after several seconds I got the answer
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Integral+from+-r0+to+%2br0+of+(r0^2-r^2)/(R0-r)^2+dr&incParTime=true

A bit down it lists the indefinite integral as (R0^2-r0^2)/(r-R0)-2 R0
log(r-R0)-r+constant

But the result dimensions do not fit... Something is wrong.

For the spherical mass distribution I assume per particle
F=GMm/R²

and for a mass differential dM in the star (see attached picture) it becomes

dF=G dM m / R² = G rho dV m / ( R0 + r ) ² = G rho pi (r0² - r²) dr m /(R0 -
r)^2

Each dM is a vertical slice in the star. Each slice weighs dM = rho pi (r0²
- r^2) dr. So I don't calculate to the highest precision. I just assume that
the distance to all particles in the slice is R0-r

and if I integrate to get the total it would become

F = Integral from -r0 to r0 of G rho pi (r0² - r²) dr m /(R0 - r)^2

which is the integral I initially asked aboutand that Wolfram Alpha gave the
indefinite form of.

I can't see why using spherical distribution would make the computation much
more complex? Computers can handle almost anything.

Regards,
David

David Jonsson, Sweden, phone callto:+46703000370