Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

However, that comment from the review is actually conservative. Storms does not state that biological transmutation is real, but is noting a rather obvious fact: we reject the concept of biological transmutation because we reject the concept of nuclear reactions at low temperatures. . . .

It is conservative. Some people have difficulty understanding that in science it is sometimes conservative to make a radical assertion, or to reach an astounding, seemingly untenable conclusion. For a person committed to following the rules, you have to follow them all the way, regardless of where they take you. That's why Martin Fleischmann says: "we are painfully conventional people." He means it.

You know, if bcrowell were a cold fusion fanatic, pretending to be a pseudoskeptic, he couldn't do a better send-up.

May-bee. But I myself got tired of reading that sort of thing years ago, and I have no desire to imitate it. It is a little like imitating creationists who claim that: "Darwin never tried to address the complexity of the eye, did he? So there!" See "Origin of the Species," chapter 6, "Organs of extreme perfection and complication:"

http://www.literature.org/authors/darwin-charles/the-origin-of-species/chapter-06.html

I do not debate creationists but if I did, I would get tired of issuing that particular rebuttal time after time, knowing that such people do not do their homework and would not understand "Origin of the Species" even if they did read it. Granted, it is a tough book, and so are the modern versions of the theory such as "The Selfish Gene." No one ever said that such ideas are obvious to the amateur, or easy to understand. I have little patience with people who imagine that anything they cannot understand in the first reading cannot be true. I like Oliver Heaviside's comment about that. When someone complained to him this his papers were hard to read, he responded: "That may well be -- but they were much more difficult to write."

Mike McKubre has remarked that the skeptics attacks against cold fusion are notable mainly because they are so weak. In debates such as Morrison versus Fleischmann (http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/Fleischmanreplytothe.pdf) Morrison's arguments are not clever, subtle, or close to the truth. Nor are they deceptive or unfair. They are ludicrous. McKubre says: "I could do a much better job demolishing many of the claims than skeptics do." I am sure he could, and so could I. I do not know if I could write a burlesque version of the skeptic's presentation, but I have written real critiques of actual papers that point out more errors than the typical skeptic is aware of.

That's not even considering the countless ad hominem attacks by skeptics. I know more about the peculiarities of many researchers than the skeptics do. I could probably do a better job on the ad hominem front as well. I refrain from that because ad hominem arguments are logical fallacies; the personal behavior and beliefs of researchers are no one's business but their own; it turns out that most people everywhere are as peculiar as the cold fusion researchers (although perhaps more inclined to hide their oddness); and finally, because gossip bores me.

Cold fusion is mired in academic politics. Probably no subject in the history of physics has been so mired in politics and emotion. In the social sciences, medicine, and in other academic fields such as literature many subjects are now and always have been politically charged. For example, social science conclusions with regard to racial differences, race superiority and eugenics are fraught with emotion. The fact that cold fusion is politically charged is partly a partly a pocketbook issue, but most -- I think -- a coincidence of history. It just happens that people discovered plasma fusion first, and cold fusion second. People have an tendency to think that whatever they first learned about must be the dominate type, and the best, most useful and most correct type, and any subsequent discovery or invention must fit the pattern of the first one. This tendency was noted by Francis Bacon and many others. That is why you see theorists straining to find reasons why cold fusion is able to "suppress" neutrons, as if the atoms in the lattice somehow know about plasma fusion theory, and they are frantically rushing around trying to stop those neutrons from emerging from the reaction sites, like Maxwel's demon's playing whack-a-mole.

Anyway, one of unfortunate side-effect of the politics is that skeptics have seldom read the literature and tried to write a credible technical critique of the research. The ones who made an honest effort, Morrison and Hoffman, were both nitwits in my opinion, and their papers and books are ludicrous, as I said. (Lomax thinks that Hoffman has merit, but McKubre and others at SRI, and I, disagree.) What is worse is that people knowledgeable about the subject who could write more critical reviews sometimes pull their punches. I know that I have done that, and I know several others who have. This is not because they want to "protect" people in the field. There is little or no collegiate admiration among cold fusion researchers.

We do not mute criticism or pull our punches to protect others but because we know that any report of weakness will be blown out of proportion and used by skeptics to denounce the field in ways that are a damn nuisance. It doesn't do any good to write a careful critique. The people you are critiquing will probably ignore you -- because they have heard torrents of nonsense. I have difficulty persuading them to fix the English composition in their papers, never mind the content. The people opposed to the field will quote the critique out of context and make more of than they should. Getting back to the example from Darwin, creationists often quote chapter 6 out of context to make it seem that Darwin agrees with them, because Darwin begins by making concessions and revealing the potential weaknesses of his own argument. That's how a brilliant scientist makes an air-tight academic argument. You admit there could be a weakness, you describe it as carefully as you can, and then you confront it head on. Darwin wrote:

"Long before having arrived at this part of my work, a crowd of difficulties will have occurred to the reader. Some of them are so grave that to this day I can never reflect on them without being staggered; but, to the best of my judgment, the greater number are only apparent, and those that are real are not, I think, fatal to my theory. . . .

To suppose that the eye, with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest possible degree. . . . "

The creationists don't get it. They do not see what he is doing here. They do not grasp the concept of a statement made "for the sake of argument." They think any concession is a sign of weakness. Any argument that begins by granting that you "freely confess" the opposing point of view seems valid is a losing argument. This is similar to the way skeptics fail to see that Storms is being more conservative by discussing the biological aspects of cold fusion, not less conservative.

I understand why the CMNS discussion group is members-only and you have to promise not to talk about it outside the group. I myself do not want to participate with those restrictions, but I can well understand what motivates them to set those rules. It is to avoid the kind of distortions the skeptics will make of an honest critique.