<mix...@bigpond.com> wrote:

Jed, in your report you quote:

> "30 second period" (see #2).
>
> Was that the duration of the test??
>
> (I had (perhaps mistakenly) gained the impression that it ran for at least
> an
> hour).

That's confusing, isn't it? The Jan. 14 test was about an hour. Not sure how
long it took to reach the terminal temperature and dry steam, but after that
they ran for 30 minutes exactly. I have a graph showing that. It shows the
reaction quenching remarkably quickly. That's almost as good as starting up
quickly. It would be nice to have a cold fusion reaction we can turn off.

30 seconds is how they quote the flow rate. It seems the pump setting is for
30 second intervals; i.e. 146 ml/30 s.

In the video the pump makes a loud noise and sends a pulse of water every
few seconds. I can understand just enough Italian that I think someone is
saying "that's the pump." A constant displacement pump grabs a precisely
calibrated amount of water and sends it in a pulse, so you vary the flow by
timing the pulses. Peristaltic pumps have a more even flow.

Peristaltic pumps are an example of technology that by rights should not
work, but they managed to pull it off. They overcame what seemed to be
insurmountable problems with plastics. You have a wheel pressing down and
squeezing the plastic tube thousands of times an hour for weeks or months.
Early plastics quickly became brittle and broke. I don't recall who did
this, but I read about it and I got the impression that person really,
really, REALLY wanted to make peristaltic pumps work, driven by
some inscrutable inner desire.