At 05:37 PM 2/25/2011, Jed Rothwell wrote:
Dennis wrote:

Yes, it would be hard to fake much over 1kW... wall plugs being what they are,
gauge of wires being what they are.  (unless you used part of the plumbing as
your current carrier).

Ah! That's one I hadn't thought of.

This is my point, there may be a million things you haven't thought of. The suspicion of fraud is not controvertible without independent and thorough examination. In a way, it's totally unfair. It's like all the criticism of cold fusion that amounts to "there must be something wrong."

You were correct that this is not a falsifiable hypothesis. But it's not a scientific hypothesis, it is a principle of prudence. I would never assert that because there might be fraud in any result, therefore we should discard the result.

The norm is, when there is full disclosure, to assume honesty and probity of reports. What complicates the matter here is the secrecy. This is not a claim that the secrecy is improper, only that it has certain natural consequences.

Now, speaking about the plumbing, if this were copper tubing, it would make a very high-current conductor. But you would need two. One might use the offical power wiring as one side of a circuit, and the plumbing as a return. Suppose the plumbing was the ground side. It's exposed, but it would be safe, you could touch it. The power supply wiring, let it be silver wire. There are two or three wires, really bundles of wires, it looks like a normal power cord. Let the voltage be high. I bet you could run easily ten times as much power through it as you've been expecting. Or more.

I'm not describing all possible details.

Let there be some way of storing up energy in the device before releasing it, initially. So, say, you have a reservoir with water, and you heat that up with your current, to just below boiling. A membrane dissolves at a certain temperature and mixes this water with the rest of the water, which is connected to the output, which, until then, was just sending on feed water, low temperature, maybe rising slowly. Suddenly you have a rapid increase in temperature. Look at that power burst! And from then on, the thing runs from the input power, which I expect could be more than 10 KW.

And that's as far as I'll go. I am not familiar with the exact experimental details. I just know that one could make a demo that would look mightly good, somewhat similar to what I've seen described. I'm not responding to the February demo specifically. Perhaps that demo could be explained by the input power trick described, alone, without the burst energy appearance from a hot water reservoir.

I don't know. And, indeed, that's my point.

No claim here of fraud is implied. The possibility of fraud does not, at all, imply actual fraud.

The fake demo I'm describing would require special wiring and connection for the wall plug. That requires that the site be under control of the fraud. It would require a solid grounding of the water feed pipe. That might be easy to arrange, on safety grounds. It might easily be accomplished through the pump connections. A sophisticated version of this fraud would allow someone to test the plug with ordinary devices or a meter. Power electronics hidden in the wall would only kick in with high voltage when the demo load was presented.