Yesterday I wrote that it can be surprisingly difficult to evaluate the performance of a large machine. That probably sounds odd. Let me explain a bit, while I try to anticipate some of the honest skeptical objections that might be raised about a 1 MW demonstration. Rossi is sometimes open to suggestions and if we can come up with ways to avoid these problems perhaps he will make adjustments.

Let's look at what we know about the proposed demonstration, and think about how to measure the effect.

THE 1 MW DEMO

Rossi said that the 1 MW unit will be used to generate hot water. Not to generate steam, not to be used as an electric generator. (This seems like a wise goal to me, because the conditions needed to generate steam or electricity are more extreme.) Assume the ratio of control electronics power to output is the same as the small device, 1:200, the control electronics will take about 5 kW.

Okay, let us assume the target temperature is 40°C. Max power is 1 MW = 238,000 calories/second so the flow rate will be 5952 ml/s = 6 L per second (95 gallons per minute). That is not as large of a flow rate as I thought. A 100 gpm pump costs $642 and takes only 0.5 HP (372 W -- really?!). That seems kind of low. Fire pumps of this capacity are rated at 10 HP.

A large pump used in a swimming pool is about 75 gpm. You have probably felt the surge of water from one of these.

TEST PROCEDURE

To test the 15 kW machine, you can buy all equipment you need at Home Depot and Radio Shack for less than $100. You need a thermistor, a Kill A Watt efficiency monitor, a large bucket marked in liters, and a stopwatch (nowadays a virtual stopwatch on a computer). Install the Kill A Watt between the wall outlet and the control electronics box, to circumvent skeptical doubts about waveforms. This equipment will give you a reliable answer to within 10%, which is enough to be certain that 80 W are going in and 15,000 W coming out.

To test a 1 MW machine, you need thousands of dollars worth of specialized equipment, starting with a large AC wattmeter (power analyzer), which costs anywhere from $800 to $15,000. The point is, a professor or outside observer would not have this sort of thing handy. Someone like a consulting engineer would. You also need specialized flowmeters and temperature probes. The testbed at Hydrodynamics cost tens of thousands of dollars as I recall, and it took months to build. It had to measure mechanical torque as well as electric power, which added to the cost. The point is, this is not something you can throw together with a few universally available parts. You might be forced to depend upon Rossi himself to provide the instruments and set them up before the demonstration. This would compromise the results.

It is challenging to install a temperature sensor into such a strong flow of water. An old-fashioned dial thermometer is probably a good choice. These things are inaccurate. You could take samples of tap water input and bucketfuls of the output to measure the temperature independently.

You probably want an IR sensor and some other stuff to do sanity-check tests.

I would recommend a great deal of nuclear safety equipment; Geiger counters and the like. Badges to measure radiation exposure. Rossi says there is no radiation but Celani says he measured it. I would not bet my life that Rossi is right.

I am sure there would be other challenges I have not thought of. Flow calorimetry on this scale is quite different from anything in the laboratory. As I mentioned, measuring industrial processes is not only difficult, it is surprisingly inaccurate by the standards of the laboratory. There are good reasons why people do experiments on the level of 1 to 10 W. See:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJbutterside.pdf

REASONABLE SKEPTICAL OBJECTIONS

As noted, if Rossi supplies the instruments even a sympathetic observer would have doubts. This would not be an independent test in any sense.

This is a large machine. It would probably have to be bolted to the floor. It would be dangerous to poke around inside it, even if everything is turned off.

I believe that the control electronics are critical to the performance of this machine. It would be dangerous to allow these electronics to turn off completely in the event of a power failure, so I think the control electronics will require a large battery backup. A power failure might also disable the flow of water if they use a pump instead of tap pressure. the point is you will have a lot more equipment and many more wires which a suspicious person might reasonably suspect is actually supplying power to the machine. you would have to carefully sort out what is what, and what where goes where. It is harder to determine the layout and functionality of the components than with the small 15 kW machine. I think it would take a few days, and I would want a mechanical engineer to do the job. I would not trust a professor -- or myself.

Any technically knowledgeable person can look at a large machine and figure out what the main components do and what the approximate capacity is. At a hangar across from my office they disassemble and repair jet aircraft engines. You see electric motors, pumps, turbine blades and all kinds of stuff there. It is pretty clear how it fits together, what the parts do, and what the test equipment is for. It is like looking at one of these illustrated "How It Works" books. That's fine as far as it goes, but you don't want to rely upon the level of knowledge I might bring to a hanger to evaluate something as important as a 1 MW Rossi device. I think you need an engineering professional. Someone like Ed Storms could do it, naturally, but I think an engineer who evaluates this sort of equipment for a living would be a better choice. You sure as heck would not want to rely on Rossi's own evaluation.

Look at the photo of the Hydrodynamics Large Flow Reactor to get a sense of what I mean:

http://hydrodynamics.com/products/large-flow-reactors/

I'm not saying the 1 MW reactor will be exactly like this, but it will be a machine roughly on this scale.

This is a 1,500 gpm unit, a lot bigger than the Rossi 1 MW reactor, according to my estimate. The point is you see it is sitting on a large concrete slab, and it is not something you can walk up to and start poking around inside. You cannot put it on a slab of wood and raise it up so you can see underneath it, the way Levi did with the 15 kW reactor. There are plenty of places to hide a large wire. Although I suppose you could check the building itself, to see if a megawatt power line is coming into it. It isn't as if Rossi can bring in backhoes and hide an underground 1 MW feed. the next time you are at a shopping mall go in through the back entrance and have a look at the power supplies -- the transformers in the back of the building. I believe that is roughly 0.5 to 1 MW in a large shopping mall. That is not something you can hide. I cannot find an image on the web, but I think everyone here knows what I mean.

During an actual test I would expect to see a flow of water so large it would be difficult to guess at the size and difficult to measure. I would expect a great deal of noise and commotion from a hot and dangerous machine. You have to stand well back. As a practical matter, by the nature of this kind of experience, it is harder to judge what is going on than with a laboratory-bench scale device. You are largely dependent upon the instruments to tell you what is happening. You cannot tell the difference between 1 MW and 0.5 MW of heat just by looking. At least, I can't, although I expect a consulting engineer could. Based on my experience as Hydrodynamics, I predict that even though the machine will be large, it will not be more persuasive or easy to grasp than a smaller machine.

Ironically, the smaller machine is probably better suited to the task of convincing people the effect is real. It also seems big enough to meet to convince any sensible person that the machine can be used for industrial applications, automobile engines, generators and so on. I do not think a 1 MW scale up demonstrates these capabilities better than the small machine does already, especially when the 1 MW device consists of 100 smaller ones. To summarize, I cannot think of any reason to make this, or any purpose that cannot be better served by making 3 or 4 new small machines. Perhaps Rossi knows something I do not know, or his financial supporters have asked him to make this 1 MW machine for some reason I am unaware of.