This link describes the difficulties of burning boron (forms molten layer
that shields the remaining boron from oxygen) and says that by adding some
percentage of magnesium the burning issues are better.
http://www.afsbirsttr.com/Library/Documents/Innovation-050610-MACHI-OSD05-T001.pdf

Also the same link lists the kJ/g for solid boron,  59 kJ/g.   Solid Boron
is 2.35 g/cm^3 and this works out to about 138 MJ/liter which is the same
value found on wikipedia

But I can't find the kJ/g or MJ/liter for powdered Boron.

Note that powdered Aluminum is 3.8 times less dense than solid aluminum.

So is Boron 3 to 4 times less dense than solid Boron?  If so,  Alan's number
of 53 hours of run time should be reduced by a factor of 3 down to 17.6
hours.    There is no way to ignite solid Boron - it has to be powder.