At 05:54 PM 3/11/2011, Jones Beene wrote:
Alan-

Well, yes. Borates may be non-toxic, but how cleanly do you think a boron fill in this kind of configuration could burn in air?

Think about it!  It’s completely out of the question !

BTW, the answer to the operative question is: Poorly.

Boron is toxic  unless it is fully oxidized. Fully oxidized. Period. Incomplete combustion is *extremely toxic*.
The perfect oxides could be passable for human, but one would have to have criminal intent to try to burn boron in air in a small space.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boron

Health issues

Elemental boron and borates are non-toxic to humans and animals (approximately similar to table salt).

As I said before and will repeat – the body count would be extreme !

CRC handbook of chemistry and physics: a ready-reference book of ... - Google Books Result

< http://books.google.com/books?id=WDll8hA006AC&pg=SA4-PA6&lpg=SA4-PA6&dq=elemental+boron+toxicity&source=bl&ots=UYqK2RNZNu&sig=4VxTWxXIYDb6kB_Um5fjhDfmwoU&hl=en&ei=o816TYfKCYmCsQOVkMT7Ag&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&sqi=2&ved=0CDUQ6AEwBA >

Elemental boron and the borates are not considered to be toxic, and they do not require special care in ...

Google: elemental boron toxicity

7 pages in and I can't find anyone saying it's toxic.

In any case, I insist that my methodology -- there is NO chemical which could UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES be used to make a fake -- is correct.