Jones wrote:

Micrograms, actually. Perhaps you only need a few atoms
thickness on the nickel surface.

In fact it might work better that way, since the monatomic
hydrogen splits and "keeps on going" into the interstices
a few atoms down, where it densifies ...

Terry Blanton wrote:

Ok, ok, I'm willing to give it a chance; but, assuming
the entire ECat assembly is indeed copper, how much Cu
can one expect to migrate into the Ni?  Certainly not for
the ratio of constantan 55/45; otherwise, there would be
pressure leaks everywhere.

Steven wrote:

Culturally speaking, Rossi's eCat (eKittin) technology
reminds me of a very popular science fiction genre known
as "Steam Punk." Steam Punk has its origins that can be
traced back many decades. Curiously, within recent history,
the genre has become a thriving sub-culture within the
science fiction community. Steam Punk has spawned many
popular novels and films in recent history.

Basically speaking, Steam Punk exists as an alternate
universe, one that seems to revolve around what might be
called old world technology, technology based more on the
rules of alchemy rather than Quantum Mechanics.

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_punk

This comparison/revelation hit me like a ton of bricks
last night while my wife read out-loud a brief passage
from a Steam Punk novel she is currently reading. I found
myself thinking about the recent PDF report which includes
photos of several eCats in various stages of having been
dismantled. The visual flavor looking at all of those
dirty copper pipes couldn't have been any closer to what
steam punk "technology" is all about.

This is speculation on my part, but it would seem as
if many gifted Steam Punk writers, without realizing it,
have tapped into an alternate universe - as if some part of
their psyche unconsciously sensed the distinct possibility
that this other world must actually exist somewhere for
real. They longed to pull that reality into our universe
where we could explore it in more detail. Perhaps
their novels helped sparked unconscious speculation
on the matter, eventually resulting in bringing Steam
Punk "technology" to fruition in our universe. FWIW, a
sub-culture such as Steam Punk doesn't thrive as well as it
does unless there is something substantial underneath it.

Hi All,

My favorite steam punk movie is "Brazil" with Harry Tuttle
the master of pneumatics.

Jack Smith