On Apr 12, 2011, at 3:22 PM, mix...@bigpond.com wrote:

Hi,
[snip]
This roughly 0.8 MeV energy comes from the kinetic energy of the
electron, which is the same high value it had in the very small
deflated state

The kinetic energy of the electron in the deflated state comes from the potential energy it had relative to the proton in the non-deflated state. Since the total mass energy of a Hydrogen atom is short of the energy required to form a neutron by 800 keV, that is still so in the deflated state. IOW the kinetic energy of the electron is 800 keV less than would be needed to form a neutron.
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/Project.html

Not true. The kinetic energy of the electron in the deflated state can be around 1 MeV. In that case the potential energy is about -1 MeV. Upon fusion with Ni, the kinetic energy in that case remains initially at 1 MeV, but, due to the suddenly present 28 extra Ni nucleus charges, the potential energy is reduced to -29 Mev, and the net potential plus kinetic energy is reduced by 28 MeV. This loss of potential energy does not prevent electron capture of the now energetically trapped electron, if it occurs very fast, because that electron still has the kinetic energy necessary. I think it is also true that nuclear heat may prolong the ability of the electron to both radiate and be captured. Nuclear heat to which I refer is provided by zero point energy, in a manner as described here:

http://mtaonline.net/~hheffner/NuclearZPEtapping.pdf

in which I estimate the nuclear temperature for Ni to be 1.02 MeV. This then provides a method of capturing zero point energy.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/