I wrote:

I suppose you could not use it for this purpose if the water is flowing.
>

For that matter, I suppose the whole problem vanishes if we assume they only
use the heater when the water is not flowing. No details of the operational
procedures have been released. For all we know, they turn off the flow while
"firing up" the cell.

They did tell me they test the flow calorimetry before turning on the cell.
That is to say, they make sure the inlet and outlet temperatures are the
same. That does not mean they do not momentarily turn off the flow while
starting up the cell.

If that is how they do it, the configuration could just as easily be a cell
inside, with the water normally flowing around it. Not a torus. When the
outside jacket is drained, there is an air gap between the copper and
stainless steel cell. I think heat from the heater would reach the cell. Or,
as Axil suggests, the outside heater could serve as a blanket while the
inside heater does most of the work.

The only problem arises when you suppose the water is flowing the whole
time, because that would carry off the heat from the outside heater, and
prevent it from heating the inside cell.

- Jed

Reply via email to