Axil wrote:

>A temperature difference is not required between the cathode and the reactor
>walls to work however there would be one. The wall would be at a temperature
>of

>600C and the cathode would be at a temperature of 2500C.
>
>It is the very hot temperature of the cathode that allows electrons to escape
>the surface of the cathode where high temperatures matter.
>
>But the difference required is electrostatic. The cathode would be emitting
>large numbers of negatively charged hydrogen ions; the wall would be at a
>neutral electrostatic charge since it is grounded by the water flow and the
>structure of the Cat-E itself. But the wall would be seen as positive
>electrostatically relative to the negative cathode and negative ions would
>flow

>toward the wall.

So the ions move to the reactor walls because they are all repelling each other,
not because they are attracted to the walls. I think you should call the heater
an ionizer instead of a cathode, because where there is a cathode there is
normally
an anode.

>The minimum cathode material that could generate hydrogen ions is tungsten.
>Usually, thorium is alloyed with tungsten to increase electron emissions. This
>may be why Rossi did not want a radiation spectrum taken of the Cat-E because
>it
>
>would have detected thorium gamma emissions since thorium is slightly
>radioactive.

Hoyt recalls Rossi saying there is no tungsten in the reactor.
I think he said that on his blog. Of course, Rossi may be trying to hide
the fact that he using a heater wire made of tungsten. who knows?

Harry