An alterative to tungsten for the internal heater is a nichrome wire heating
element (melting point of 1400C) enclosed within a tube of ceramic thorium
oxide (thoria).

With thoria there is little difference thermionically when studied as a
coating on tantalum or on tungsten, or as a ceramic tube. Experiment and
theory indicate that thoria is an excess semiconductor containing a
stoichiometric excess of about 10e18 atoms/cm3 of thorium. There is very
little sensitivity to oxygen, however, at temperatures above 1577C.

I suspect that the use of thoria would have be detected using a gamma ray
spectrum which Rossi prohibited.

The goal that Rossi must (and maybe has) achieve is to produce as many
hydrogen ions as he can.

I can’t see how a solid catalyst could spill over more hydrogen ions to the
primary nickel catalyst then some sort of thermionic ion production
mechanism can.

I would use a drop of liquid caesium to form a vapor formed at  a high
temperatures to produce hydrogen ions.

Either thorium or caesium could be the secret added catalyst.