I just don't believe that, first off we know that there is more than
enough recoverable solar energy to take care of all energy demands many
times over.

And that's just solar, yes there would need to be a big project of
installation and you would need to store the energy in the day time to use
at night but it is totally doable.

I wanted to see if I could find something that summed up how much energy
could come from these renewables but I can't find any such info, what I can
find is that renewables currently account for almost 20% of the electricity
generated.

So are you saying you think it would be extraordinarily difficult to have 5
times more wind farms? (I have never seen 1 in person) I don't think so,
5 time more solar, that would still not be much.
5 times more hydro may be a bigger challenge but it wouldn't be impossible.
5 times more Tidal power
5 times more wave power

You get the point, it would be pretty straight forward.
And many of these can be cheaper than Nuclear or easily competitive.

Really where does your belief that these are insufficient come from?
Do you really think that Nuclear makes so much more sense?

Would your view be different in you lived in Japan?