On 05/26/2011 01:33 PM, Wm. Scott Smith wrote:
I realize that this is routinely trivialized, rationalized away and ignored;
nonetheless, those who do so are merely dancing around the real question here!
"Why are em fields perpendicular (when one is inducing the other, purely
speaking?)"

Are they really doing that? Or that is just an abstract construct, introduced to try to give some foundation/explanation for the conservative nature of the field?

This is a fascinating question, especially because these two fields are perhaps the only
things in nature wherein a force in one direction causes an "An equal and
perpendicular reaction!"

Well, the idea I propose is that a perpendicular field manifests only when an
interaction happens. That is, the magnetic field
does not exist "inside" the wave, it's just a manifestation of the wave. The
same with the electric field.
Magnetic and electric fields are just modes of expression of the wave, so, the
explanation for their direction must
be seek in their interactions with matter and other waves, not in the waves
themselves.

The other mystery about all of this is that this question probably holds the secret to the
underlying nature of a photon: why does this oscillating em field traverse space at the speed of
light, and without the dispersion of individual photons.  Even if you hold that the waveform
travels ahead of the "particle aspect" of the photon, this is just a superpositional
state of possible outcomes, but all of those outcomes still result in a single "particle
aspect" traversing one path, and arriving as one particle.

It seems there are a number of concepts going on:
- perpendicular magnetic vs. electrical waves
- perpendicular radiative component vs. acceleration vector of an
electrostatic charge
- potential energy vs. kinetic energy waves
- matter waves (?)
- wavefunctions

Shouldn't we try to pinpoint what's the relation between these concepts, if
they are indeed related?

By the way, Frank Z., can you explain how can you talk about "the potential
energy of an
electromagnetic wave", and say that it's equal to mc², when an electromagnetic
wave
is massless? Are you saying that its potential energy is zero?

Regards,
Mauro