On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Horace Heffner <hheff...@mtaonline.net>wrote:

> It is notable that the power input varies depending on the controller
> actions, that if the power input (plus any nuclear output heat if any)
> should become less than that required to convert all the input water to
> steam then the liquid excess will eventually simply overflow, i.e. be pumped
> out into the hose and down the drain.

I find this description (like Jed's and others') odd, with the term
"overflow". The system starts with liquid water flowing through it, past the
reactor, and probably never reaches the point you use as a starting point
where all the water is converted to steam.

So when the bp is reached, when the input power is 600W, some of the water
begins to change phase. That of course increases the volume, and pushes the
liquid ahead of it out. In that vertical chimney, there's going to be all
sorts of turbulence that will likely produce a sputtering at first, but then
as the power increases, a mist that mixes with the steam and proceeds down
the hose.

After that, as the power increases further, more of the water changes phase
to absorb the additional heat, but the output will still be a mixture of
steam and mist at the boiling point. The fraction of dry steam will increase
as the power increases. If it were ever to reach  5 kW (or so), then as the
water passes the reactor, it is all converted to steam.

That transition from 600W to 5 kW would have to correspond to an increase in
the temperature difference between the reactor and the water by the same
factor of 8 (in this case). That would take time, which can be estimated by
the time it takes to go from zero power transfer to 600W, and corresponds to
hours. Yet Rossi and his believers assume that at the moment the bp is
reached, or very soon thereafter, there is a magical transition from 600W
transfer to 5 kW transfer. It makes no sense.

To come back to your scenario, if the power is then reduced a little, some
of the water entering the ecat will not change phase but will be rapidly
mixed with the fast moving steam to form a mist again. I don't see this as
an overflow. Any liquid filling the hose will be blown apart by the steam
forming behind it.

> Note that the pump rate is small, on the order of a few cc per second, so
it can take a while to fill up a hose held upright into the air, even if the
device itself is full of water - which probably can not happen due to
percolator type effects.

Right, except I don't find the comparison to hot beverage makers very useful
because this system has a clear inout and output, and a pump that keeps the
flow rate constant. Maybe an espresso maker might be better, but I'd rather
just think about the actual device itself.