Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

Good point. On a meter with a fixed display, you cannot calibrate any finer than the last digit displayed, minus a tad. McKubre can calibrate RTDs (I think they are) to a fraction of a degree because he is looking at a computer screen with as many digits as you like.

Thanks, Jed. You can display to as many digits as you want, but the issue will be, for resolution, the resolution of the A/D converter in the data capture device. It can get complex.

Of course. I did not mean to imply that the 4 digits Rossi displays are all significant. In McKubre's case as I recall, 3 digits are significant. My point was only that the display is not limited by the hardware as it is with a hand-held meter, so it can display beyond the significant (meaningful) digits.

As I said, I was assuming Galantini was watching the screen display, waiting for it to go above 100°C. Maybe he wasn't.