So, you believe the issue is settled by the use of flow calorimetry (hopefully
you mean without phase change).
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jed Rothwell
  To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
  Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2011 12:49 PM
  Subject: Re: [Vo]:The Percolator Effect

  Joe Catania wrote:

    I'm suggesting what I believe many others have. What should be eliminated
is complications like anything flowing, anything shanging phase, heat leakage.

  Phase changes are a problem, although ice calorimetry has been around for a
long time.

  The only kind of calorimetry that happens without heat leakage is bomb
calorimetry, which can only be done for brief reactions or it explodes (hence
the name).

    If we have a well characterized vessel (i.e. we know heat conduction
properties well we can use it to contain the reaction. Then we might be able to
charcterize heat flow from it better. This might also be done by solding the
vessel in a vacuum and measuring the IR spectrum to characterize radiation.

  I do not see how this would be any better than flow calorimetry, which is
what Defkalion uses, and what Levi did in the 18-hour test. For a
kilowatt-scale reaction I think that is the best method.