Jed, there many plausible explanations why Rossi did lie. One of my guesses
is that Rossi did lie to Krivit, because he insulted him and others
therefore he denied the E-Cat demo from Krivit. It depends only your
imagination how many similar and plausible scenarios there might be.

It may be difficult to find how he would benefit from lying in so obvious
manner, but if Rossi has the real thing, then there is no way that there is
any harm done even if he lied.

Obviously Rossi does not want that mass media will reach E-Cat until
October. As media got too interested in May and early June, it made
perfectly sense that he wanted to discredit himself. Presenting silly
demonstration to overly scientific journalist, is the best way to tarnish
own reputation. And there has not been much media attention since.

Logic is simple. If Rossi had wanted that we believe him, he would have
taken a swimming pool and and boiled all the water away. This did not
happen, but only unconclusive short demonstrations. Therefore Rossi does not
want publicity outside cold fusion circles. There was, however significant
media attention because Swedish and particularly Mats Lewan took it
seriously. Therefore making silly Demonstration in June was good opportunity
to send a message that "demonstrations were dubious, please do not bother me
before October".

—Jouni