On Aug 31, 2011, at 1:45 PM, Joe Catania wrote:

You're the one that believes they are demonstrations. I stated they were not. Yiu also failed to convince anyone they were (but did try). Why you believe in this nonsense is beyond me. Did Rossi make a large cash contribution? I sense much academic dishonesty in you. Feeble puffs of condensed water out of Rossi's hose were his undoing and has turned CF back into the farse you're tryig to convince us it isn't. Apparently you aren't even up to the challenge.

Cold fusion is a serious scientific issue. Surely any scientist who spends sufficient time reviewing the LENR literature, e.g.:

http://www.lenr-canr.org/

realizes there is an abundance of evidence from highly credible scientists indicating anomalous behavior of matter when hydrogen is absorbed. There can be no doubt at this point there is important knowledge to be gained from study in the field. Considering research in the field is such small science, compared to Mars missions, supercolliders, and tokamaks, and considering there is so much potential for humanity:

http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJcoldfusiona.pdf

the potential cost/benefit of research in this field makes funding it highly justified on a scientific research basis.

I have seen no public evidence provided that indicates CF is ready for commercialization, for commercial investment with the expectation of quick profits. Others may disagree of course.

Rossi is not engaged in serious science. He is engaged in a business venture. His integrity is possibly not that of a scientist. He could indeed set the field back seriously. This does not make CF a farce any more than one bad cop makes law enforcement a farce.

What would make the field a farce is the blind acceptance by everyone in the field of any claim anyone in the field makes. This is certainly not what happens in the case of LENR theory! I don't know of any two serious theorists that agree! We who work in the field have the obligation to be our own harshest critics. We also have some obligation to examine whatever evidence is put forth, pro and con, and make an effort to logically determine its truth, meaning, relevance, and implications. It seems to me this group does a pretty good job of this, and not just for LENR, but for anomalous science in general. It is a great place to hang out. You never know for sure what you are going to see going on here when you get up in the morning.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/