Am 02.09.2011 22:04, schrieb Horace Heffner:

The above makes no sense to me. Resistor wattage ratings are merely the maximum wattage that can be put though them without the expectation they will be destroyed. The power ratings are not used to compute the power or current through them. If you put 600 W through a 300 W resistor you can expect it to soon burn out.

The printed values are the recommended safe operation conditions, not the maximum rating. With this type of heater resistors, the maximum rating depends mostly on cooling and can be multiply exceeded with good cooling. The problem is, then the voltage must been increased above 230V. P= U^2/R. For double power the voltage must be 1.41*230V.

However, if I compare this resistor with the heater coil inside my hairdryer, then the coil in my hairdryer is much smaller and it has 1200W. So, with good cooling, the resistor could deliver about 4 times the wattage. Maybe the lifetime could decrease, but it should be possible.